Let’s make sure service-learning supporters are SEEN AND HEARD
Step 1. Register to Attend. Below is the schedule of the upcoming meetings:
- May 13, 2009, Springfield, MO, 1:00 - 4:00pm (local)
- May 14, 2009, Columbia, SC, 1:00 - 4:00pm (local)
- May 20, 2009, Washington, DC*, 12:30 - 2:30pm (local)
- May 22, 2009, Boston, MA, 9:00am - 12:00pm (local)
- May 27, 2009, Salt Lake City, UT, 9:00am - 12:00pm (local)
- May 28, 2009, New Orleans, LA, 1:00 - 4:00pm (local)
- You can register here.
Step 2. Let Us Know You’re Attending. Once you register, let us know what session you plan to attend. We want to make sure service-learning supporters can connect to amplify our voice and collective priorities. We'll also make sure you have updated talking points and materials to help you communicate our message effectively. Connect to other service-learning spokespeople here.
Step 3. Prepare to Speak Up for Service-Learning. Here are tips to effectively speak up for service-learning at these sessions:
- Arrive on time, if not early.
- At the sessions you will sign up to speak on a "first come first served" basis.
- Each speaker gets 3 minutes and it goes until the 3 hours is up.
- The "flow" of the sessions corresponds to whoever signs up. With that in mind service-learning spokespeople in attendance should diverse themselves so service-learning issues are mentioned throughout.
- Use these suggested talking points to help communicate the collective priorities and concerns of the service-learning community.
Step 4. Spread the Word. Please spread the word to your networks and constituents, especially if you live or work in one of the communities hosting a listening tour session. Service-learning talking points and supporting materials for the Serve America Listening Tour will be available on http://www.servicelearningunited.org/